Municode is a growing legal publishing and technology company looking to hire a full-time Code Editor.
If you have a bachelor’s degree, excellent keyboard skills, and good command of the English language, you’ve got the basics for becoming an editor/proofreader at our company. Experience with Microsoft Word and Paint.NET is a plus. Our employees are trained one-on-one by an experienced editor/proofreader to perform the functions of an editor and proofreader. We find that if you are good at crossword puzzles, Sudoku, or Scrabble, you may well have what it takes to be a good legal editor. The starting salary is competitive, with bonuses based on performance. If hired, you'll enjoy working in a flexible environment where everyone is part of a team effort in a family-owned business that has been an industry leader for more than 65 years. We have a good benefits package, a Wellness Center and a fitness trail at our drug-free workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer.
(1) Organizing, planning, and prioritizing work.
(2) Performing day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files.
(3) Checking that Codes have all the required materials.
(4) Producing or working to a style checklist to ensure consistency in hyphenation, capitalization, formatting of references, etc.
(5) Editing text written by a number of authors to ensure consistent house style.
(6) Correcting spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
(7) Preparing preliminary pages for the title, contents and preface of a publication.
(8) Working with IT-based publishing systems and databases.
(9) Communicating with attorneys.
(10) Ensuring that illustrations are correctly captioned and referred to in the text.
(11) Ensuring that publications are prepared on schedule.
(12) Communicating with persons outside organization. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
Education and Experience Required:
(1) English language. Knowledge of the structure of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
a. Written expression. The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand; the ability to phrase a question to get a concise answer.
b. Written comprehension. The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
c. Interaction with computers. The ability to use computers and computer systems to enter data or process information.
(2) Experience and/or education in editing, writing, media, or communications.
(3) Bachelor’s Degree
(1) Problem sensitivity/solving. The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. The ability to come up with ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem.
(2) Information ordering. The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific set of rules.
(3) Selective attention. The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted. This involves:
a. A methodical working style;
b. Concentration, accuracy and great attention to detail;
c. The ability to multitask;
d. The ability to work with deadlines (time management);
(4) Visualization. The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
(1) Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability.
(2) Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
(3) Edit and proofread manuscripts and confer with attorneys regarding changes in content, style or organization.
(4) Coordinate work with proofreaders.
(5) Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations. (Input corrections from proofreaders.)
(6) (Graphics) Allocate print space for text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters, using knowledge of layout principles.
About Municipal Code Corporation
Municode's mission is to connect cities to their citizens. To do so, we work with our 4,200 municipal clients across the country to create products and solutions that promote transparency, efficiency and that enable them to more effectively serve their staff and their citizens.
Whether it's through custom website design, our online payment portal, the legal codification process, or our robust suite of online legislative search tools, our goal is to help local government agencies more effectively engage with the citizens in their communities.
For over 65 years, we have earned our clients’ trust, loyalty and respect by focusing on what is most important: our customers and their citizens. Our solutions are designed to make municipalities’ jobs easier and the relationship that they have with their citizens second to none!